Friday, September 12, 2008

Deep Thoughts-Jack Handy

The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw.

When my cousin Billy came and stayed at our house for a week, at first everything seemed okay. But then I started noticing things were missing. The first thing was a bag of garbage we kept under the kitchen sink. Then the piles of ashes and butts in the ashtrays. Then all the weeds in the yard. I never said anything to him, but we never invited him back.

One day Dad asked me to go fishing with him. I got scared. I had the feeling he was going to try to drown me. I don’t know why I thought that, because so far he had never tried to kill me. But he had never taken me fishing either, so I was suspicious. When we got to the lake, he walked right up to it. "Hey, son, come here," he said. "Look at these minnows." "Nice try, Dad - if that’s your real name!" I yelled. Then I ran back to the car and locked myself in. Dad never took me fishing again. So I think that proves my case.

It’s funny how annoyed people get when you carry around a bullhorn all the time, even if you don’t use it that often.

When I think of all the arguments Marta and I have had, I realize how silly most of them were. And it makes me wonder why she wanted to argue over such stupid things. I think I’ll go ask her.

One day a beaver and a termite were walking down the road together. "I can eat through a tree with my teeth," said the beaver. "That’s nothing," said the termite, "I can burrow through a tree." Then they heard a voice behind them. "You two think you’re so smart, but you’re nothing!" It was a bitter old drunk lady.

0 comments: